Humid summers and heavy rains can cause issues for homeowners in South Carolina. Crawl spaces are important for providing access to plumbing and electrical systems, but they can also be a breeding ground for termites, mold, dry rot and other common basement issues.
Crawl space repair in Greenville, SC, is an important home service to repair your basement framing and support your home. Whether you’re a new homeowner who just moved to Greenville or you have lived here for years, understanding crawl space repair is crucial for maintaining the integrity of your home.
5 Signs Your Crawl Space Needs Repairs
While it’s easy to forget about your crawl space, there are a few important signs to look for. Check your crawl space for any of the following signs that may indicate you need a home repair.
- Check for compromised framing – The framing in your basement may be damaged due to a variety of factors. Termites, dry rot, mold, or moisture can cause your framing to crack, split, or break. If you notice any of these issues, give us a call.
- Increased Pest Presence – If you are noticing an uptick of rodents, termites, or insects in the home, it’s worth checking the crawl space. Crawl spaces are a common entry point for pests, and if you have cracks or damage, they can enter more easily. Treating the pest problem upstairs is important, but a crawl space repair professional can solve the source of the problem downstairs.
- Unpleasant smells – A strange smell in your home may be coming from your crawl space. It could be caused by moisture that has resulted in mold or mildew. It might be an unwanted animal that has become trapped.
- Bouncy floor issues – If you notice that your floors are bouncey, this could be a sign of structural damage in your crawl space. Over time, compromised framing in the basement can weaken the support beams and cause the floors to shift and sink making them feel “bouncy” as you walk.
- Mold Upstairs – Mold spores from the crawl space can spread throughout the house. Any area in the home you use water (laundry, bathrooms, kitchen) is a great place for mold to spread and thrive. If you notice mold upstairs, it’s worth checking to see what is happening downstairs. We can treat the mold and repair the framing at the same time.
3 Repair Solutions for Crawl Space
There are several solutions to repair your crawl space without extensive excavating or construction mess.
The installation of any crawl space system requires the expertise of a professional contractor or engineer who can assess the specific needs of the building or home and recommend the appropriate solution.
1. Basement/crawl space re-framing – If your basement has already experienced damage from termites and dry rot, we’ll repair the damage made and prevent issues in the future. This is one of the most common repairs we make to ensure your basement is safe and secure.
2. Encapsulation – Encapsulation completely seals off your crawl space to create a controlled environment that is isolated from outside moisture and air. Encapsulation prevents damage to the house, improves indoor air quality, and energy efficiency, and reduces the risk of structural damage over time.
3. Crawl space stabilizers – Crawl space stabilizers are used to support and stabilize the foundation of your home by reinforcing the floor joists and preventing them from sagging or settling. Crawl space stabilizers come in a variety of forms, but the most common types include adjustable steel columns, concrete piers, and foundation wall anchors.
4. Sump pump systems – A sump pump is a mechanical device used to remove water that has accumulated in a crawl space. Sump pumps are commonly installed to prevent flooding or water damage. Our pumps are industrial grade and designed for residential use, with important features homeowners rely on.
FAQs About Crawl Space Repair
Why Choose Upstate Structural Repair
- Better Repairs – Our technicians in Greenville, SC look at the problem as it relates to the entire home, not just the isolated incident in the crawl space. Our method of providing whole home assessment and repairs provides more comprehensive solutions for homeowners.
- No Scare Tactics – We don’t scare you into paying for products or services you don’t need. We provide honest and reliable recommendations and then support you every step of the way.
- We Are Local – We are a local company in Greenville, SC, not a national franchise. As active members of the community, we care about our local economy and the homeowners who live here. We also understand the unique characteristics and issues that come to crawl spaces in South Carolina and can provide homeowners with reliable local expertise.
Protect Your Foundation
Crawl space repair is an important aspect of maintaining a safe and healthy home, particularly in South Carolina. Neglecting crawl space repairs can result in structural issues, increased energy bills, and potential safety hazards.
Your basement structural repairs are our bread and butter and we do it better than anyone in the business. With timely and effective crawl space repair and a reliable foundation repair company in Greenville, SC, you can protect your home and family. Give us a call today!