Imagine a homeowner living in a beautiful home built in the 1950s. They have been living in the house for many years and notice that the basement walls have been deteriorating over time. There are a few cracks, and a couple of the walls have begun to bow. Now, during heavy rainstorms, water seeps in through those walls.
Most homeowners in this situation may attempt to repair the cracks with sealant or waterproof paint, but over time those cracks grow larger and water damage becomes more serious.
Professional basement wall repair in Greenville, SC provides solutions to fix any current problems and stabilization to prevent future ones. This permanent solution improves the stability and value of historic homes and aging properties.
6 Signs Your Basement Walls Need Repairs
There are thousands of pieces that must come together to create a finished home. Environmental factors, product quality, workmanship, and age all play a role in the stability of your home.
Basement walls are a critical piece of protecting your property. The following signs are clear indicators you have a structural issue in your basement.
1. Bowed Walls – This is when the basement walls begin curving inward. As the surrounding soil expands and contracts throughout the years, the trapped moisture creates hydrostatic pressure. When this occurs, the walls require enhanced support to decrease the pressure.
2. Horizontal cracks in basement walls – Small vertical cracks are usually nothing to be concerned with, but a horizontal crack (especially near the center of the wall or in line with the top of the grading or backfill) will widen and lengthen over time. Have a professional examine even the smallest of cracks to determine the root cause and be proactive in corrective or stabilizing measures.
3. Stair-step cracks in the basement walls – The appearance of stair-step cracking or sinking is another warning sign of deterioration. This is also common in the middle of the walls but can begin at the corners.
4. Tilted walls – If your wall starts to tilt inward at the top, this is a clear sign that existing damage is getting worse and you need professional assistance. Sliding at the top of the walls signifies a severe structural issue and the house framing has been compromised.
5. Rotation of the basement walls – This occurs when the exterior of your foundation settles deeper into the soil while the interior rises. This uneven movement can result in the rotation of your walls and can be remedied with professional basement wall repair in Greenville, SC.
6. Separated moldings – Keep an eye on any moldings in your home. If you notice those are slowly separating from the ceiling, it may be a problem. Detached moldings are often a sign of a problem with the basement walls.
6 Repair Types of Basement Walls
There are a variety of techniques we use to repair basement walls. Each one has specific applicability depending on the location, size, building materials, and extent of basement wall damage.
1. Carbon fiber straps – Carbon fiber straps are a strong and durable material used to reinforce a compromised wall. The process involves the installation of the straps onto the surface of the wall and then applying tension to provide support and distributing the load of the structure evenly across the wall’s surface. Once the straps are in place, the epoxy adhesive is allowed to cure, and they can be painted and concealed. This is a cost-effective and efficient solution for reinforcing weakened or damaged walls. The straps provide long-lasting structural support, reducing the risk of further damage.
2. Force Beam System– Basement force beams are a common solution for stabilizing and strengthening bowed or leaning basement walls. They work by providing a counteracting force against the external pressure of the soil outside the wall, which is often the cause of the bowing or leaning. Once the I-Beams are in place, they can prevent any further bowing or leaning, and in some cases, they can even straighten the wall back to its original position.
3. Helical tiebacks – Helical tiebacks work by transferring the load of the wall to the soil or bedrock behind it. They can be used in a variety of soil conditions but are not ideal for masonry walls. They are often for cinder blocks or poured concrete foundations.
4. Excavation, wall straightening, and carbon fiber strap install – Excavation, wall straightening, and carbon fiber strap installation is effective for masonry or concrete walls. It is a large undertaking and involves extensive work on both the inside and outside problems. While it is more costly than other solutions, it is often the only way to safely and effectively push the wall back to its original position.
5. Complete wall rebuild – In some cases, it is necessary to completely rebuild the walls. This provides a new, straight, and stable wall and replaces the nearby soil with gravel. The gravel drains better, ensuring a drier basement and preventing future issues.
FAQs about Basement Wall Repair
Why Choose Upstate Structural Repair
- Better Repairs – We take pride in our work and make better repairs than other companies in the area of Greenville, SC. Our team of experienced professionals uses the latest techniques and technology to ensure that every repair is done to the highest standards, providing long-lasting results that can give customers peace of mind.
- No Scare Tactics – We don’t use scare tactics to try to convince customers to purchase unnecessary repairs. We believe in being honest and transparent with our customers, providing them with clear information about the repairs that are needed and why they are necessary. Our team in Greenville, SC will work with customers to develop a repair plan that meets their needs and budget, without pressuring them into unnecessary repairs.
- We Are Local – We are a local foundation repair company in Greenville, SC, which means we understand the unique challenges that homeowners face in the area. We are committed to providing personalized service to every customer, and we are always available to answer questions or provide guidance throughout the repair process. Our team takes pride in being part of the local community and is dedicated to helping homeowners maintain the safety and integrity of their homes.
Opt for Reliable Wall Repairs for Your Basement
Basement wall repair is an important step in maintaining the safety and integrity of a home. Cracked, bowing, or leaning basement walls can lead to significant damage and pose a threat to structural stability. Repairing these issues as soon as they are detected can help prevent further damage and potentially save you thousands of dollars in repair costs down the line.
Whether it’s through the installation of carbon fiber straps, helical tiebacks, or other reinforcement methods, a qualified foundation repair company in Greenville, SC can provide the solutions needed to ensure a safe and stable home.
Investing in basement wall repair is investing in the long-term health and safety of your home providing a secure living environment for years to come. Give us a call today.